Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Day 2 in the Classroom

Hey everyone! The trip to school was much easier today than it was yesterday. We hopped on bus 28 A at 8:00a.m. and arrived at the school within minutes. Shree and I checked in at the front office. The secretary asked us if we had a CBR which is basically a background check to clear us to enter their school. In, Florida they clear us by county so we do not have a state clearance that Plymouth needs. Mr. Marsh the headmaster said he would take care of it for us. This happened to Liz and Keith yesterday at their school.
Before the children came into the classroom, I got to talk to Ms. Byrant for about 10 minutes. She asked me to work one-on-one with a few students that need extra help. She also wanted me to work on a guided reading group.
During the guided reading, I worked with six students. We read The Emperor's New Clothes. I am amazed at the reading levels of these students. They do not have leveled books like we do in America. It was mind boggling how fluent and accurate they were in their readings.
After guided reading, I pulled students who needed help with clocks and telling time. I really felt like I did a good job explaining and teaching the material to them. The students seemed to have a pretty good understanding.
At 11 we had a break. The children went outside to get some energy out before another lesson.
When lunch ended, all the students came back to the classroom. Today they were working on how to plan a burning house. They have been learning about electricity and the Great Fire of London. This activity is very creative and interactive. Today they just planed a circuit on a piece of paper and wrote about each of the steps they would take. Later this week they will actually put together the circuit with a bulb and build a house to make it look like it has flames inside. I will post pictures later of the actual activity!
Now we are off to the college basketball game on campus! Hope everyone is doing well! I miss you all!!!!!!!

No comments: